What's new

How can I make this forum better for you?

Jmaunder

Personally, I would love to see tips about getting started in your career and making your resume stronger. Not necessarily choosing a school or time building options, more so stuff that will make you stick out during the process after you get your ratings. Maybe volunteer opportunities or extra endorsements, I don’t know. Maybe just some things you have done or things you’ve heard other pilots doing prior to getting hired. I think (obviously have no idea for certain) that it is going to be a little harder than just getting your ATP minimums in the next few years to get picked up by a part 121.

Cat.Harsis

Hey Kelsey,

First of all, I'm amazed that you have a forum now. (y) It has a nice, clean design which I like, and the blue-ish side is up, indeed. 😊

What I'm noticing is that the forum is very complex, with many, many, maaaany subs and sub-subs. Personally - but that's just my opinion, and I'm fine if everyone else disagrees, of course - I prefer a little less complexity, especially in very young and empty forums, and maybe splitting them up later if there's a demand.

Another idea: Maybe you could add some descriptions to the subs, so people know what you would love to be discussed by whom in a particular subforum? For example... make clear whether the airline subforums are made for their staff (and maybe people who want to apply for a job there) only, or whether us PAXes are allowed to ask and discuss things there, too?

Anyway - thanks for creating this forum and your hard work!

Dan A

Instead of having “US ....” and “International ...” combine it all into one as it frees up space and makes it overall more cleaner.
appreciate all the hard work!

Rina_R_428

Wow, its been ages since I've been on a FORUM. Brings me back to my fangirling days, although, I was never very good at fangirling... but I digress. 🤦‍♀️ ANYHOOOO, how to make it better or more beneficial? Let's see... since Kelsey 👨‍✈️ stated this was a FORUM that he wanted for anyone involved in aviation to be able to network and help each other out, on that direction, I figure, maybe make a "reference board" that shows IDK, lets say major/international airport codes for the USA, and other countries. Major Airlines HUBS (for those interested in commerical aviation as a goal) Maybe also, general aircraft specifics, like, Cessna/Textron, Cirrus, Piper, and even HELOS and going up onto larger aircraft, RJ's, Airbus, Boeing, etc. It seems a bit of people that are going for their PPL's are ultimately looking to get hired on with commercial airlines. Maybe showing there are other options to commercial PAX / Cargo airlines would be good information too. For example, what's called (I believe) Aerial Work, like air ambulances, law enforcement aerial patrol, etc. Also, maybe some tips or guides for practical transitions from let's say IDK, airport ramp crewmember or airport ticket counter/gate agents looking to get on to be a flight deck/crew memeber. Also, if it is permitted, for those that are NOT looking to get into actually FLYING an aircraft or working in the aviation field, maybe offer up photos or tips on airshows, plane spotting hangouts (if they so care to divuge that info) and maybe aviation museums they've found interesting, etc. Just my two cents. ;) Enjoy y'alls day/night. ☺

MsHighAltitude

Greatly appreciate the time and effort you've taken to set up this forum. I noticed currently the flight/cabin crew sections occupy most of the real estate on the main page but a lot of us are not flight or cabin crew. Do you think it would be a more balanced layout if the discussions are grouped by contributor roles? For example:
  1. Airman
    • Airlines (can be further divided into Major, Regional, Cargo, Foreign and/or specific airlines as needed)
    • Commercial Ops / Part 135
    • Flight Instructors
    • General Aviation
    • Military
    • Student Pilot
    • Type Ratings
    • Career Questions
  2. Aviation Enthusiast
    • Airframe / Aircraft
    • Airshows / Museums
    • Aviation News
    • Flight Simulators
    • Plane Spotters
  3. Aviation Support (as is)
  4. Cabin Crew
    • Career Questions
    • War Stories
  5. Passenger
    • Ask a Pilot
    • Airport / Cabin Tales
    • Where to Next
  6. Random (as is)
Just a suggestion. :)

wehamlin

Hey Crew-

I wanted a place for anyone involved in aviation to be able to network and help each other out so I created this forum. Please let me know how I can make it better or more beneficial for you!
It was difficult to get signed up, the confirmation emails kept telling me I needed to resubmit... But I got it done 😎 Thanks for putting this together!

What I'm noticing is that the forum is very complex, with many, many, maaaany subs and sub-subs. Personally - but that's just my opinion, and I'm fine if everyone else disagrees, of course - I prefer a little less complexity, especially in very young and empty forums, and maybe splitting them up later if there's a demand.
I agree. Start out small, and once there's a need for it, add more subs. It's nice to have some organization, but if you organize too much too soon, it'll just become more cluttered.

Instead of having “US ....” and “International ...” combine it all into one as it frees up space and makes it overall more cleaner.
appreciate all the hard work!
I actually appreciate the clear separation. I often find myself searching for info on my flight training just for it to be FAA related, even though I am in Europe, so it doesn’t apply to me 😳

74Gear

Administrator
Staff member
I read all your suggestions and I am about 80% done. I am going to add a subsection for flight school between US and International and then put them in alphabetical order, but I have to go fly now. Is this a lot better layout for all of you?

I read all your suggestions and I am about 80% done. I am going to add a subsection for flight school between US and International and then put them in alphabetical order, but I have to go fly now. Is this a lot better layout for all of you?
That's grand. Thank you very much for the quick reaction and adjustment made.

MsHighAltitude

Absolutely! Hope others like it too.

One minor suggestion--instead of:
  • Flight School
    • US
    • International
  • Flight Instructors
  • Student Pilot
Do you think it would look better to have:
  • Flight Training
    • US
    • International
    • Flight Instructors (or just Instructors)
    • First Solo / Checkride (where people can share their experience and get congratulated for first solo or passing their checkride)
  • Flight Instructors
  • Student Pilot
Also might want to remove the "Type Rating" subsection under "Random" now that it's under "Airman."

Last edited:

Cat.Harsis

Do you think it would look better to have:
  • Flight Training
    • US
    • International
    • Flight Instructors (or just Instructors)
    • First Solo / Checkride (where people can share their experience and get congratulated for first solo or passing their checkride)
  • Flight Instructors
  • Student Pilot
Liking the change, too.

I'd say: Just leave it at US and International - add Flight Instructors and Student or First Solo if there turns out to be a really big demand, i. e. if both Flight Training subs have spawned more than ~150 threads.

Nicklesurge

I would love to have an area to share the best airports to visit, if it´s something special about the airport or if it´s just beautiful area around it or some sort of Sightseeing nearby.
Maybe seperately for the US & Europe.

Grimm

IDK if you have control over the websites time algorithm, but it looks like its set to just take whatever the posters local time is and use that as the display, connecting the website to UTC and maybe adding a little clock on the task bar if you could would be nice. Seeing people post at 10am then the next post be 3pm is odd. (This was posted at 1600 UTC)

Just watched the YT video and the sentiment behind the forum creation is very nice. It reminded me, however, that we do not have a forum etiquette or forum guidelines at all, which should ideally be pinned to the top. Might be a good idea to get something like this up and running.