What's new

Sim lover wanting to fly in the real world

Tommy13579

Hey all!
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so I could start flying myself one day. Id like to start ground school to see if I can learn the ropes but with covid going on I am not sure where to start. Questions I have are:
Do i need to own my own plane or can I rent them?
I'd like to learn more about how the engine and systems work.
Can I make it work on a middle class budget?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Let me know if you have any questions.

Siris

There are online ground school courses. The two biggest ones are Sporty's and King's, I use King's school myself. You can most certainly rent an aircraft and most do for training. It will end up costing you more in the long run but can make the flight instruction more approachable as you are not hit with large cost up front or in maintenance (the savings come from selling the aircraft after training.) Far as the systems go you will be required to know and understand them for your license so will spend some time in ground school studying how things work. If you want more in depth make friends with some A&Ps, most are pretty happy to explain and even put you to work on a few things if you're volunteering. Budget will depend on a lot of things really and is entirely possible but you may have to do some leg work. There are ways to get assistance from things such as AOPA for your flight training.

MsHighAltitude

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It depends on how you define "middle class budget." In my area (Southern California) an hour of plane rental and flight instruction would run you $200 on average. Each lesson is two hours so if you do 2~3 lessons a week, you are looking at around $1k per week. Overall assuming 70 hours for your private pilot license, that's roughly $14,000. Flying is definitely a luxury.

I would suggest that you go take a discovery flight with a local flight school first and see how you feel about it before diving into ground school. A lot of the ground school material makes more sense once you have some flight experience.

Zeede

Hey all!
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction so I could start flying myself one day. Id like to start ground school to see if I can learn the ropes but with covid going on I am not sure where to start. Questions I have are:
Do i need to own my own plane or can I rent them?
I'd like to learn more about how the engine and systems work.
Can I make it work on a middle class budget?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Let me know if you have any questions.
Hey Tommy, welcome to the forums!

If you have any trouble finding the closest local general aviation airport, just let us know what city and state you live in and it will be easy for us to do a search. When I got into flying a year ago I was surprised at how many small GA airports there were around me that I had just never known about, despite being born and raised there!

Edit: Tommy, I would recommend going for a discovery or intro flight at your local airport before worrying about signing up for ground school.

@MsHighAltitude Wow. I did mine in about $9k at 60 hours. Then again, wet rental plus instructor at KAPV was only $149/hour in the 152s.

MsHighAltitude

@Zeede Wow that's nice. Mostly 172s, Slings, DA40s and Warriors in the LA area. Wet rate is around 140 and instructor around 60. Heard a few schools are raising rates so the training market must be booming again.

Last edited:

321Captain

Hey Tommy, welcome to the forums!

If you have any trouble finding the closest local general aviation airport, just let us know what city and state you live in and it will be easy for us to do a search. When I got into flying a year ago I was surprised at how many small GA airports there were around me that I had just never known about, despite being born and raised there!

Edit: Tommy, I would recommend going for a discovery or intro flight at your local airport before worrying about signing up for ground school.

@MsHighAltitude Wow. I did mine in about $9k at 60 hours. Then again, wet rental plus instructor at KAPV was only $149/hour in the 152s.
[/QUOTE

Tommy13579

Thanks all for your help I will be looking into all of this and let you know if I need anything else! This should give me the launch pad I needed!