What's new

Smart Ass instructors

Virtual Nomad

I learned to fly at a major general aviation airport in the midwest. I was assigned an instructor that was gruff, mean and didn't care. On my very first landing attempt, I was too high and had to go around. He threw a fit, yelled at me and took over the plane. He landed it. I didn't say a word, but went to the head of the flight school and told him what happened. I was assigned another instructor who was very nice. That instructor later told me that "grumpy" had been fired. If you get a bad instructor, don't put up with it. Complain.

affinity4aviation

When you are paying to learn, you should be treated with respect, encouraged + inspired. When the respect isn't mutual, you were wise to quickly do the right thing. It's your hard-earned money and your future. It takes a lot of great communication skills and patience to be a great instructor, which we saw in a video of Kelsey teaching Stella. He's a gifted communicator.

Last edited:

Skycatcher pilot

I learned to fly at a major general aviation airport in the midwest. I was assigned an instructor that was gruff, mean and didn't care. On my very first landing attempt, I was too high and had to go around. He threw a fit, yelled at me and took over the plane. He landed it. I didn't say a word, but went to the head of the flight school and told him what happened. I was assigned another instructor who was very nice. That instructor later told me that "grumpy" had been fired. If you get a bad instructor, don't put up with it. Complain.
The CFI choosing to get the rating, chooses that job to get hours and money. Not forced. That CFI needs to learn his place! You deserve better!

affinity4aviation

. They
That's the problem. The 'system' encourages or even forces people who just aren't instructor material to become instructors as a stepping stone.
Some will be good, many will be OK, and some will be bad.
Why don't they make it harder to become an instructor and weed out the ones who aren't passionate and inspirational about teaching? It's not enough to be logging flight hours to reach a goal. It has to be a win-win for both the instructor and the student, in a symbiotic relationship. It's where students learn about teamwork and communication.

Zeede

Administrator
Staff member
Why don't they make it harder to become an instructor and weed out the ones who aren't passionate and inspirational about teaching? It's not enough to be logging flight hours to reach a goal. It has to be a win-win for both the instructor and the student, in a symbiotic relationship. It's where students learn about teamwork and communication.
With all due respect, it already is pretty darn hard to become an instructor.

Sonerai

Redos or a continuation are usually not good, besides not been to a movie theater in 20 years. By the way, they found one orange box, but so damaged locals can not say crv or data recorder

Plague

Sonerai

Well of course what we read on the net is always true. Sarc off. Your comment is most likely correct rather what I had read/posted earlier

Plague

Redos or a continuation are usually not good,
Quite a few have been as good or better than the originals, but any really good film will be hard to equal.
But if the original was brilliant even a less good sequel should be better than most of stuff churned out on a weekly basis.

besides not been to a movie theater in 20 years
I've given up on them now. The other occupants often annoyed me but these days I need subtitles and a pause option, so it's disc or streaming only now.

Plague

Well of course what we read on the net is always true. Sarc off. Your comment is most likely correct rather what I had read/posted earlier
No, you were correct - early on they said they didn't know, which is reasonable.
I imagine they've now had a chance to clean a bit of the mud off and get a better look at it - maybe got a partial on a serial number or something